Thank you for your interest in becoming a resident in a Commonwealth Managed Community.
Commonwealth Communities comply with all applicable Fair Housing laws, rules, and regulations. We strive to enforce strict resident acceptance policies consistent with the requirements of each community. Please note we provide equal housing opportunity to all persons and comply with all Federal, State and local laws regarding Fair Housing requirements. Reasonable Accommodations are provided, upon request, to applicants with disabilities.
- Prospective occupants who are at least 18 years of age or emancipated minors must completely fill out and sign a rental application/authorization for a consumer report and criminal background check. All information on the application must be correct and legible. All applicants must qualify individually for residency. If one co-applicant does not qualify and the other does, we will have to deny approval for residency. If you refuse to fill out any part of the application or authorize us to run the necessary reports or provide any incomplete, inaccurate, or fraudulent information or references, we will deny your application for residency.
- Applicants must provide two (2) pieces of identification, one with each applicant's photo from a government office (e.g., Driver's License, State ID Card, Passport) and each applicant’s Social Security Card or proof of a Tax ID number.
- Applicants must have a history of acceptable credit; five (5) years verifiable occupancy history (the most recent 5 years); and demonstrate an acceptable debt to income ratio.
- Having a criminal history will not result in an automatic disqualification for tenancy in violation of state or federal law. Management will carefully evaluate all reported criminal history of an Applicant, based upon several factors, including but not limited to, the date and nature of the crime, its severity, its recency, and what efforts at rehabilitation the Applicant has undertaken. Applicants are encouraged to provide contact information for one or more persons familiar with his/her personal history, who can verify the Applicant’s good faith attempts at rehabilitation. Note: Applicants are required to authorize and pay for an out-of-state criminal background check(s) if they have lived outside the state in which they are applying for residency within the last five years. There is an additional non-refundable charge of $15.00 per applicant, per state, for this additional screening.
- Applicants must be gainfully employed for (twelve) 12 months or longer with current employer or have verifiable and continuous periodic income from other sources, such as retirement, social security and/or disability. If the Community is either an “age 55 or older” or an “age 62 or older” Community, you must provide proof that you meet the age requirements. Applicants must provide documentation of all sources of income that are to be considered.
- Any individual who is a current illegal substance abuser or has been convicted of the illegal manufacture or distribution of a controlled substance will be denied residency.
- Any individual or pet/animal whose residency would constitute a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals or whose residency would result in substantial physical damage to the property will be denied residency.
- If pets are permitted, they must meet the requirements of state and local laws, ordinances, and the Community in regard to number, size, and breed (see Community rules and regulations). The definition of pets is domestic dogs and/or cats. The Community does not allow full or mixed breeds of exotic and/or wild animals, livestock, farm animals and certain breeds of dogs including, but not limited to: Akita, Blue Heeler, Chow, Doberman, German Shepherd, Pitbull, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Rottweiler, Presa Canarios, and Wolf-hybrid.
- Vehicles must meet community requirements regarding number, size, type and condition.
- Occupancy may not exceed two (2) persons per bedroom, plus one (1) additional person per household.
- Homes must be resident occupied – no sub-leasing (this includes renting bedrooms in home) or rentals.
- Current laws permit the landlord to deny residency on the basis of, but not limited to: pets; vehicles; number of occupants; credit history; character references; criminal records; tenant history of eviction or property damage; rental history; unverifiable or insufficient income (excessive debt); or incorrect, incomplete, or unverifiable application information. Our policy complies with these laws.
Application Fees:All fees must be paid by check or money order at the time of application processing. Application is not considered a "completed application" until all application fees have been received.$45.00 - minimum non-refundable fee to obtain Consumer Report
$15.00 - per state to run Out-of-State Criminal Background Check
- Required for residents living outside state of intended residency in the last 5 years
- Example 1: You are applying for a community located in Oregon, currently live in Oregon, but have lived in Washington in the last 5 years. Your application fee would be $60.00 ($45.00 +$15.00).
- Example 2: You are applying for a community located in Washington, currently live in Idaho and have lived in California and Alaska in the last 5 years. Your application fee would be $90.00 ($45.00 +$15.00 for ID + $15.00 for CA + $15.00 for AK).
Fees are for each applicant, including applicants applying together or legally unionized or married.
You will be notified as soon as possible regarding your application approval or denial.
Rental Applications, once approved, are open for a period of forty five (45) days; a Rental/Lease Agreement must be executed within that time, or approval will be withdrawn.
If you choose to submit a new application, new application fees will also be due.
If you have any questions on policies regarding qualifying as a resident in a Community, please address them with the Community Manager or contact us at 503-244-2300 or send us a message via Contact Us form.
Commonwealth Real Estate Services does not accept Comprehensive Reusable Tenant Screening Reports, commonly referred to as portable screening.
You can obtain an application packet from the community manager of the community or download it below.
Return completed application package to community manager of the community you are applying to live in with all required fees.
Download complete application packet below.